TWO MONTHS PRIOR TO MOVING DAY:
- If you’re using a mover, get a few estimate from moving companies.
- Create a floor plan of our new home for furniture and appliance placement.
- Start and file all the paperwork required for the move.
- If needed, arrange to transfer school records.
FOUR WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING DAY:
- Schedule the disconnection of your services (cable/internet, gas, and electric).
- Start to pack.
- Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, drapes, and carpeting.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVING DAY:
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved.
- Prepare auto registration for transfer (if long distance moving).
- Make child-care arrangement for moving day.
- If needed hold a garage sale to shed those extra boxes of possessions.
THE DAY BEFORE:
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for move.
- Set aside anything that will go in your cars.
- Confirm arrival time of your moving van/truck.
MOVING DAY HAS ARRIVED!
- If using a mover, be sure someone is at the old house to answer questions.
- Note all utility meter readings.
- Read your bill and inventory carefully before signing. Keep this paperwork in a safe place.